Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Recycling

Thanks to International Labor Day, since getting back on Sunday I have taught a grand total of 8.5 hours of English, which is alright with me. Since I couldn't think of anything better to write, I've recycled a number of my best Moroccan interactions of the last 6 months for the benefit of those who may not assiduously follow my facebook. Aka, these are for the Grandmoms!

@my apartment
little neighbor girl: Mimoun you're looking very white ever since coming back from Rabat
Me: I know, I wasn't allowed to leave the hotel for a week so I didn't see the sun
little neighbor girl: I'll tell all the girls in the town who want to marry to come to this house, they like white colored-people like you

@the barbershop
Me: Godwilling I'll come back here for a haircut in the future
Young barber: Come anytime
Old barber: or just come back to sit and talk
Me: Thanks bizeff. What are your names?
Young barber: We are Moroccans. So he's Mohammed, I'm mohammed, everybody's Mohammed.


@Moroccan girl's house
Moroccan girl: Oh and I love this excellent show WWE Raw.
Me: really? wrestling?
Moroccan girl: yes and my mom loves it too
Me (to the mom): who's your favorite wrestler?
Old Moroccan lady: Big Show


6:30 pm, outside the youth center with my Moroccan boss and his bro abdelatif
me: (pointing at moon) What's the word for when the moon is like that [a sliver]?
Abdelatif: Hillel my friend
me: Oh cool, what about when it's more than half?
Abdelatif: That's Badr, we say Badr.
me: ok
Abdelatif: Badr is also the word for a woman's sex.
me: what?
Abdelatif: oh sorry, not the whole thing, just the top (makes inappropriate tongue movements)
me: ah
Abdelatif (to my boss): oh whoops, look at the time, I have to go pray.



@my youth center
7 pm. Annoying lady in her 30s has been talking loudly in the Youth House for a while, including trying to make me feel like shit for not being Muslim. I leave. While outside getting on my bike I talk to Mohamed the security guard through one of the windows as he's sitting, drinking tea and shelling peas.
Me: I have to go. I have a headache. That woman just talks and talks and talks
Mohamed: Yes, she doesn't have a man/husband.
Me: What?
Mohamed: If she had a man and she were out this late [makes hand motion that indicates beating somebody]




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.