Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Birthday in maroc

I turned 24 today, and since yesterday I have a year to go in my service. Maybe it's time for just a little reflection.

A number of family members have told me in the last week or so that this blog has been a bit gloomy as of late. That's not really what I intended. In fact, I've been on a bit of an upswing recently. I'm fairly pleased with what I got done this year and believe some of the connections I've made will be useful in the months ahead.  It's common knowledge in the Peace Corps that it takes a good year before you're accepted enough in your community to attempt large projects. This is why the tour of duty lasts two years. Krista casually mentioned the idea of extending this past week. We'll see about that- I still miss America.

Perhaps the best indicator of how well I'm doing is comparing this birthday with my last. May 24, 2012 I spent sickly sitting in my own,... nevermind. If you're interested you can check out the post from that time. Today I taught my young-English-teachers' seminar on student-based teaching methodologies for a few hours in the morning. The class is usually 3 people but 8 more showed up in the middle from the engineering school in a nearby city. So I improvised. Then I went home, read, and basked in facebook birthday popularity.

In the next few weeks I'll finish up regular classes, do a reading event for small children, graduate a bunch of kids, and get a website full of resources for volunteers on "community health and special needs" up and running. And I can look forward to a parental/grandparental visit, Ireland with Krista's family, and Italy. So there's that, which is nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.