Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4th

AMERICA!

Peace Corps has this thing called a 'personal day'.  You can take up to one a month.  It's kind of like when you don't want to go to school and so you tell your mom that you have a tooth-ache.  The only difference being, the pc medical team won't show up and take you to the dentist.  Judging by the smiles around me, I'm not sure if there even are dentists. 

So, my personal day is today. July 4th.  Our nation's sort-of birthday.  I'm beginning Team of Rivals, about Lincoln, and going to the beach in an hour to read and wish there were beer and fireworks.

As for that camp in Midelt...
I got onto the bus for the first leg of the journey, with my bag all packed up for a good month's trip.  I pull out my phone to send a message to our duty officer, letting him know that I'm leaving site. I see a text message from around midnight the previous night: the camp has been delayed until next week.  The boss there didn't get his money from the ministry for the lunches.  So I got off the bus and walked to a meeting with our boss in town who told us we probably won't have our camp either.  Here's hoping the one in Ifrane pulls through.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike,
    We love your writing! You are very eloquent, and, I might say, funny! Humor is important when things aren't going as you expect. I hope you get to do the youth camps soon with Krista! Your work will be wonderful, no doubt, once you do get started. We can't wait to meet you. I enjoyed seeing a picture of you dancing with our lovely daughter in front of an audience! :0) Keep the faith! Time is a strange thing when you travel to other worlds. Becky, Krista's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! glad you can read it- my family's finding it helpful to keep up with what/how we're doing over here. Hopefully we do get some sort of work at our site soon, but I'm kind of enjoying having open time to think or do nothing. That wedding was really fun, and I think we're on youtube somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.