Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Still Weird

I'm nearing the end. I think (am absolutely sure) that I have about 40 days left in my site before jetting off, first to the capital, then to Barcelona, then to Istanbul, then to NYC, then to DC. But things are still happening here, and things are still very weird on a daily basis. I haven't been writing as much this school year. It's not because everything is totally normal. It's not that I no longer have occasional, radical emotional explosions. It's because 1. I'm busy. 2. weird is the new normal.

I was just in Rabat for our final close-of-service meetings. We reflected on our time here and talked about preparing for the future, including mundane and soul-crushing things like writing CVs and health care options. While there, some of us had a series of medical exams, in which we had to give up the majority of every variety of bodily fluid we contained. When I went to the testing center to have my blood checked, the doctor was crestfallen that I didn't say 'bismillah' before he plunged a needle into the vein in my arm. Which is the same thing you're expected to say before slitting the throat of a sheep or getting into a bus. This was kind of funny, but that's all. Not particularly notable. The only reason why I'm writing about it is because I feel guilty for not writing anything recently. the new normal. Or a random, 60-year old woman coming to my English class and quoting the Quran at me today. Totally fine. who cares. Or walking 40 minutes in the pouring rain back from class yesterday because I didn't want to pay 1 US dollar for a taxi. Obviously. Or our water turning off for a few hours yesterday and then coming back stained deep brown. Whatever, drank it anyway. Speaking of, at one of the doctor's appointments I learned that I still have some parasites. I'm also the same weight I was when I was 13 years old.

So in the remaining 6 weeks or so, I don't expect to write very much. The biggest reason is the 'new normal' phenomenon. But I also am quite busy. I'm organizing a week-long test preparation camp, a training for people who work with autistic kids, and still teaching my normal load of classes. At the same time, I'm desperately searching out work in Paris for the coming year. Things are hectic. But I'll try to put up pictures at the very least.  This is a strange time, over all. I feel as though I am in some sort of limbo, but at the same time, furiously running in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.