Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Peace Corps Dream

One benefit of Peace Corps service is sleeping. I have never slept so much in my entire life. It's great.

In the winter, it's cold at night. There's nothing to do, and the best place in town is under all the blankets you own. So that's where I go, usually waiting until at least 10 pm, but increasingly hitting the bed even earlier. I almost never have anything to do before 10, and rarely have to be anywhere before 3 in the afternoon, so I don't exactly have to get up and at 'em early in the day.

As anybody who regularly sleeps 10 hours at a stretch while simultaneously being bombarded by low-grade food poisoning knows, you have some nutso dreams. Last night's was particularly vivid.

I was at home in DC. I was feeling pretty good because in the dream I'd just been exercising outside, something I've been missing quite a lot recently. I'd gotten back from my run and was in the kitchen, cooking something, presumably something good and American and with absolutely no cumin involved. My mom was there, and so were about 30 small Moroccan children, sitting both inside at the breakfast bar and out in the yard around some tables. They were all eating quietly. That right there should have tipped me off that it was a dream, but I guess I didn't want to realize that. The children all sort of hovered passively at the edges of the dream, not interfering. I was having a conversation with my mom. She was saying something about some family friends we would go see later, who may want to talk a bit about what the peace corps was like. Then I thought, wow, that last year or so passed by in a flash. Something struck me then and I was filled with dread. I asked my mom if I was done, and she said no, of course not, you have to go back- you're not even half way done. And then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.