Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Sometimes, I forget there are people here who I get along with

Work today was a total flop. Krista and I biked 20 minutes out of the main part of the city to do a one-off session at a tiny school by the mountains near town. We had prepared a 'cultural competition' jeopardy and were pumped.  One girl showed up. We gave her the first English lesson she'd ever had. Two teachers, one student. Except the head of the school stuck his head in occasionally- he was somewhere between a third teacher and a second student.

The day started off well- I slept an obscene amount, as per usual, and was up and at 'em at the break of 10:30. Then I spent three hours or so cleaning- the moldy bed, the moldy ponges (like couch cushions that sit on the ground), the moldy guitar case, the moldy sheet, and my hopefully-not-moldy-just-dirty clothes. Laundry for the week came to about 8 articles of clothing. Then I got a call from one of my mudirs (bosses), Zakkaria. Gal liya arwah druki ntggdaou. meaning come on over it's lunch time.

And then I had a great lunch. cous cous 'cause it's friday. It felt perfectly comfortable to hang out and eat with some of the guys who work at the Dar Shebab. It was great.

For dinner, we went over to hang out with Krista's old host sisters. Again, we ate cous cous cause it's friday. It was great. Easy. Totally relaxed, enjoyable time. Made it a good day.

It happens sometimes- work and third world inefficiencies do their best to screw up my day. And then some Moroccan friends come through in the clutch with cous cous.



In other food news, I made pasta from scratch yesterday. It's a very good way to spend a couple hours. I highly recommend it to other volunteers trying to fill their evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.