Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, nor any other governmental or non-governmental organization.

Nor is anything written here necessarily drawn from my own views, opinions, and observations. Please consider all postings and pictures complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality. For legal purposes, please additionally regard the author as utterly imaginary.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

more on turkish toilets

We had a training session today both on turkish toilets and the public baths (حمام).

Everybody is a bit shell-shocked.  I guess we learned the reason why you're only supposed to eat with your right hand.  I can now see why it's impolite to use the left when reaching into the communal dish.  I armed myself with toilet paper stolen from the hotel.

The Hmmam (baths) are going to be strange.  Apparently strangers offer to wash your back if you wash theirs, which means something different than it would at Results Gym in DC.  It actually means just washing your back.  So, usually, people will bring a friend along to aid with the bathing process.

One other notable thing from today: I picked up some clothes from the dry cleaners and the guy working there, like so many people in Rabat, starting speaking french to me.  I told him je ne pas parle francais, which he took to mean that I spoke french.  It took a while to convince him that just because I could almost say that I can't speak the language, that didn't necessarily mean that I knew the language.

tomorrow, host family in Sefrou.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The views, opinions, and observations expressed in this journal are my own and in no way reflect the views, opinions, or policy of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps Morocco, governmental or non-governmental organizations.

Nor is anything written here necessarily my own views, opinions, or observations. Please consider all pictures and texts here to be complete fabrications with absolutely no bearing on reality, this one or any other. For legal purposes, please additionally consider the author to be utterly imaginary.